Obrázky stránek

while “similia" is strong it is not sufficiently powerful to make “this corruption put on incorruption, and this mortal put on immortality.”


CONVULSIONS, BY JOHN J. SHAW, M. D., PLYMOUTH, MASS. [Read before the Massachusetts Homæopathic Medical Society.] It has been my good fortune to have had three marked cases of puerperal albuminuria in which convulsions did not occur.

I was called to Mrs. S. shortly before she was expected to be confined. I found her badly bloated; the lips of the vulva being so swollen that she could only lie on her back with the knees widely separated. I pricked the mucous surface in perhaps a dozen places on each side, and thus soon relieved her, so that she could go about. The urine was loaded with albumen.

Her confinement occurred soon after, and although she was sick over thirty-six hours, there were never during that time any signs of convulsions. I had this lady under treatment for a long time after this, I think about two years, when she again became pregnant, her urine still containing a small percentage of albumen. By the time she was three months along, both legs were prodigiously swollen, and there was not more than one-third of the normal amount of water passed.

Soon after this she aborted, (probably by her own act), but was obliged to call me on account of excessive flowing. I treated her in the ordinary way, but in the whole course of my attendance I discovered no signs of uræmic intoxication. I continued to give her medicine for upward of a year after this, with occasional examinations of the urine, but each time finding albumen; and her feet and ankles would swell badly if she stood on them long at a time.

She finally got tired of taking medicine, and I did not hear anything more from her for another year, when she had again become pregnant, and this time passed through her gestation in perfect comfort. The albumen had entirely disappeared from the urine, and her confinement was perfectly natural and quite comfortable. Since that time she has enjoyed the best of health.

My second case was that of Mrs. C. When I was called to her, I found her so badly swollen in every part, face, trunk and limbs, that although a woman who would naturally weigh not more than one hundred and twenty pounds, she had the appearance of a person who would weigh over two hundred. She expected to be confined in about one month. She had not con

sidered it necessary to speak to me in regard to her health, supposing it to be one of the misfortunes of her condition. She called me when she did on account of severe and continuous vomiting. This I soon succeeded in checking, but she was still obliged to be exceedingly careful in her diet.

She passed but little urine, not over ten ounces in the twentyfour hours, and it contained about all the albumen it could. The child was dead, but I think it had been so but a short time. I gave her apocynum can. and arsenicum without apparent benefit. Finally with terebinth and apis the amount of water began to increase, and the anasarca to disappear. But at the time of her confinement there was still considerable swelling about the lower part of the body, and the urine still contained a large percentage of albumen. She was in labor about twelve hours, when she was delivered of a dead male child, of about six pounds weight, and which had apparently been dead about three or four weeks. She showed no signs of convulsions, and had a steady although slow getting up.

Under merc. cor. and arsenicum the water gradually cleared and in about three months was entirely free from albumen. Since that time she has continued well, and is now as strong and Aeshy as is usual with her.

The third case was that of Mrs. H. In the belief of her friends at the time she passed through her gestation in perfect condition; she herself saying, afterward, that she felt perfectly well during the whole time, with no sense of weight in the abdomen or clumsiness of the limbs; and yet when I was called to her after labor had commenced; I found her in an exceedingly plump condition.

Her labor was slow and rather tedious, the os dilating with some difficulty. Her pains were quite far apart, and between the pains she almost invariably fell asleep. In fact she seemed to be in a rather drowsy condition all the time, and bore her pains with very little complaint.

About twelve hours after I was called in, she was delivered of a ten-pound girl. The placenta came away all right, and the uterus contracted well, and I left her in a very comfortable condition, although it was apparent that the plumpness was the result of dropsy. There was almost no amniotic fuid. The abdomen was to all appearance as large after confinement as before.

About five hours after I left her, I was summoned with the information that she was flowing badly and was feeling faint. I found her flowing quite freely, with pulse at one hundred and twenty. I had nourishment given her, which relieved the faintness, and appropriate remedies soon checked the flowing. The next morning the pulse had dropped to one hundred, she had passed a comfortable night and was feeling nicely. The eyelids were however very puffy, and she could not see to tell time by a good-sized clock ten feet away. I secured a specimen of her water, and found it loaded with albumen. The amount passed was very small. I put her on apocynum can. and arsenicum, and soon had a free flow of urine. The bloating of the feet, legs, abdomen and face, rapidly disappeared, and in three weeks was entirely gone. She seemed perfectly well; the sight was almost normal, and the urine was entirely free from albumen ; and I might add that I was happy, for the patient had braved the disapprobation of a large circle of friends in employing a homeopathic physician, and I should have felt particularly badly if she had not done well.

In these three cases which I have described, no preventive medicine whatever was given, because I did not see them in season to give any before confinement, and I did not have any occasion to give any at the time.

In the second case, though I gave treatment which resulted in increasing the flow of urine and reducing the dropsy, yet I did not succeed in lessening to any considerable degrée the amount of albumen passed.

In something over five hundred cases of confinement I have had three cases of convulsions, (not hysteric), and had apparently as much reason to expect them in the above detailed cases as in those in which they did occur. I am glad to be able to add that all of my cases recovered.

[ocr errors]



BY J. H. SHERMAN, M. D., BOSTON. [Read before the Massachusetts Homæopathic Medical Society.] Intelligent treatment of diphtheria as well as intelligent treatment of other diseases presupposes true conceptions of the nature of the disease. I take it for granted, with the incontrovertible evidence on the subject, that the cause of the disease, diphtheria, is the introduction into the system of microscopic germs, bacteria. Without these germs no diphtheria. The first point of attack is the natural one where in the act of breathing they would come in contact with the tonsils and soft palate or mucous membrane of the nose. In mild attacks the disease remains a local one, the general system becoming little affected. In the severe cases it extends to almost every organ in the body.

On the supposition that the disease is caused by germs, then to cure the disease, we must destroy or antagonize them. Have

we any remedy that will do this? Yes, several ; bichloride of mercury is the chief, but doses sufficient to overcome the germs would be dangerous to the patient. We have long been looking for a remedy that would be a potent germ-destroyer and still one harmless to the patient. I believe that remedy is now found. Some four years ago there was sent to me a pamphlet treating of peroxide of Hydrogen, and the author especially dwelt upon its efficacy as an oxidizer of pus. About this time I had a patient in the Homeopathic Hospital under treatment for cancer of the cervix uteri, and asked one of the staff of the able corps of surgeons what he thought of peroxide of hydrogen as an application to the broken down cervix. His reply was that he did not think much of it; and having such great confidence in my friend's judgment, I relegated it to the list of the numberless nostrums that we are invited to investigate. A few months ago my attention was again called to this remedy by a circular of testimonials from men eminent in the profession, and from all schools of practice. These men had proven it to be a safe and certain germicide. I sent for a half pound bottle of this remedy and waited for a suitable case on which to test it. It soon came. On August 29, 1891, I was called to Mrs. BAthens Street, an unhealthy locality, with cesspool connecting with street sewer directly in front of the house, and the street a very narrow one. Found my patient in bed with history of three days' illness, fever, malaise, sore and swollen throat. On looking into the throat I found tonsils, uvula, and soft palate covered with the characteristic diphtheritic deposit, and portions of it assumed that dark hue so characteristic of fatal cases, and almost certain to be followed by the septic form of the disease. There was much swelling of the sub-maxillary, sub-lingual, cervical and parotid glands. Deglutition was accomplished with great difficulty, a considerable portion of any liquid swallowed returning through the nose. There were also prominent laryngeal symptoms, croupous cough etc., showing that the disease had already invaded the larynx. From previous experience in such cases my prognosis was unfavorable, for such cases are generally fatal even in good constitutions, under which head this patient could not be classed ; her general health being rather below par. I began treatment by spraying the throat with Marchand's fifteen volume solution of peroxide of hydrogen by the means of a hand atomizer with hard rubber attachments, as metallic ones are oxidized by the remedy. The effect was immediately apparent on the diphtheritic deposit. I could see dissolution of the membrane about the thin edges, the fibrinous portion contracting into a smaller compass. The patient complained however of an extreme smarting sensation in the throat

so that I felt obliged to dilute the peroxide with an equal quantity of water which did not seem to materially impair its efficacy. These inhalations or rather sprayings were repeated every two hours, and the time occupied at each seance from five to ten minutes. The dark necrotic conditon had changed in twelve hours to the more common grayish-white deposit. From this time on there was a gradual diminishing of the exudation, although there was a persistent tendency to re-appearance of the membrane after it had been removed. The only internal remedies given were arsenicum, bichromate of potash, and glycozone. The arsenicum for the general condition of the system, the bichromate for the croupy or laryngeal complication, and the glycozone to destroy the bacteria, the ptomaines and leucomaines that may have found their way into the stomach, alimentary canal, the absorbent and circulatory systems. It was five days before the throat was free from diphtheritic deposit, and some eight days before the glandular swelling had subsided. There was but a remnant of the uvula left after the sloughing off of the membrane, and a loss of voice from the fourth to the fifteenth day. The patient was greatly prostrated from the first, and rallied rather slowly under the use of concentrated nutriment and mild stimulants. On the whole, considering the gravity of the case, the result was better than I have before witnessed in similar cases.

Another case worthy of mention in this connection is the following: On March the 31st, 1892, was called up very early in the morning to see Master Terrance V. Freeman, aged three years and three months. The father told me the child had been ill for about a week with what he and his wife considered an ordinary cold, but soon after midnight of the present morning he was seized with a distressing croupy cough. On visiting the little patient I found the characteristic croup symptoms were very apparent. I made an examination of the throat and found both tonsils covered with diphtheritic membrane. My prescription was bichromate of potash first decimal trituration in half a glass of water, and carbonate of ammonia, one drachm in four ounces of cinnamon water. These remedies were given in alternation every one and one-half hours, and the throat was sprayed every two hours, night and day, with equal parts of Marchand's peroxide of hydrogen and water by means of a hand atomizer with hard rubber attachments. This line of treatment was persisted in with alternate remission and exacerbation of the symptoms for five days, when the disease seemed under subjection, and convalescence secured, which continued uninterruptedly until the tenth day, when I discharged the case. This child was naturally a frail-looking child, though it showed a remarkable

« PředchozíPokračovat »