« PředchozíPokračovat »
3. In what ways was Christianity introduced among
the English, the Irish, and the Scotch, respectively ?
4. Montesquieu has eulogised our English ancestors
for having “made the protection of foreign merchants an article of their national liberty.” What protection does he refer to ?
5. Describe very briefly the constitution of a com
plete Parliament in the latter part of the reign of Edward the First, including in your description a sketch of the steps by which the various elements obtained their place therein.
6. Describe briefly the condition of the labouring
population in England prior to the outbreak of 1381.
7. Write a short note on Sir Thomas More's Utopia,
and shew to what extent its leading theories were in advance of the time.
8. Trace briefly the rise of Puritanism in England.
9. What was (a) the occasion, (b) the nature, and (c) the purpose, of each of the following Acts:
(a) De Haeretico Comburendo.
10. Give an account of the occasion and of the pro
visions of the Petition of Right. Why was it called a Petition ?
11. Describe the attempted arrest of the Five Members,
and explain why the step was illegal. 12. State and criticise the foreign policy of Oliver
13. “A reign of bad government but good laws.”
Comment on this estimate of the reign of Charles the Second.
HISTORY OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE.- PART II.
The Board of Examiners.
Answer fully and clearly NINE, and only nine, of the
1. Write a brief account of Scotch affairs during the
reign of Elizabeth.
2. Write a brief account of Irish affairs during the
reign of Elizabeth.
3. The reign of William the Third was remarkable
for many financial changes. Describe some of them.
4. How do you account for the long predominance of
the Whig party during the earlier portion of the
eighteenth century ? 5. Describe the origin, growth, and peculiarities of
the English Cabinet.
6. Describe briefly the chief measures of the first and
second Rockingham Administrations.
7. What was Mr. Dunning's celebrated motion in
1780, and by what proceedings on the part of the Court was it justified ?
8. Explain the circumstances under which the Duke
of Wellington quitted office in 1830.
9. Give an account of the chief social and political
measures passed by the Whig Ministry of Lord
Grey. 10. Sketch the course of events which happened during
the Russell Ministry, 1846-1852. 11. When and under what circumstances was respon
sible government established (a) in Canada,
(6) in Victoria ? 12. Trace the history of the dispute which was settled
by “Godolphin's Award."*
The Board of Examiners.
Answer fully and clearly EIGHT, and only Eight, of the
1. What do you consider to be the proper subject
matter of Political Economy? Mention the chief difficulties connected with the study.
2. On what conditions does the efficiency of labour
3. Define Rent. What causes determine the rent of
(a) water privileges; (6) mines; (c) building lots ? 4. What are the merits and the defects of inconvertible
paper money? 5. Is it true that the productive power of agriculture
in any community is the limit of that community's power of exchange?
6. Is it essential to the maintenance of high wages in
Victoria that the products of the “pauper labour of Europe" shall not be sold freely in our markets?
7. Explain the function of exchange as an aid to
8. Explain the meaning of the following terms :
Bi-metallism, par of exchange, bank money, the money market, balance of trade.
9. Distinguish between Anarchism, Communism,
10. Describe the leading features of the “Mercantile
11. What are the principal causes which tend (a) to
increase, (b) to diminish the gain of the employer?
12. State concisely the principal dangers of State inter
ference in the economic relations of society.
FUNDAMENTAL LAWS OF EXPRESSION, AND INTERPRETATION OF SPECIFIED WORKS.
1. What is the meaning of “phrasing ?” 2. What are the technical means of producing
3. Copy out the melody of(a) Beethoven's Op. 10 No.1. 1st movement bars
1-16; 32-36; 48-67. (6) 2nd movement bars 1-8; 24-29; 35-42. Add
phrase and expression marks, and any necessary comments.
4. Quote the first and second subjects in Schubert's
B minor Symphony, 2nd movement, and add
phrase and expression marks. 5. Quote the first eight bars of Mozart's Fantasia
Sonata, add phrase and expression marks.