Obrázky stránek

he sailed from Liverpool with a company of Saints bound for New Orleans. The ship on which he embarked collided with a schooner in the Irish channel, and was disabled. This made it necessary for the vessel to go under repairs, and for this purpose it was run into Cardigan bay, where it remained three weeks. delay, it did not reach New Orleans till March 14.

Owing to this

From New Orleans, Brother Bull went by steamer to St. Louis, and from there to Council Bluffs. There he worked in the office of the Frontier Guardian, a paper published at that time by Apostle Orson Hyde. He walked from Council Bluffs to Utah, and drove a herd of cattle the whole distance, receiving his board in payment for his services as driver.

It was on September 15 that he arrived in Salt Lake City. He labored that fall at whatever he could find to do, assisting masons and plasterers, and getting wood from the canyons. He did not expect to find work at printing in those early days of Utah's settlement, but expected to turn his attention to farming when the season opened. Early in January, 1852, he undertook with others to dig a drain ditch in Bountiful, then known as Sessions' Settlement, Davis county. While at this work, Dr. Willard Richards, editor of the Deseret News, sent for him, and engaged him to work in the office of that paper. The legislature was in session, and help was needed to get out the printing required. He not only worked as a compositor, but also as a pressman, and even made printing inks for special purposes.

Three years after his arrival in Utah, Brother Bull became a married man. He wedded Miss Emma Green, formerly of Birmingham, England. Six months later he was called upon a mission to California, with Elders George Q. Cannon and Matthew F. Wilkie to print the Book of Mormon in the Hawaiian language, and to publish the Western Standard, a weekly newspaper in the interest o the Church. Between June, 1855, and January, 1856, the work of printing two thousand copies of the Book of Mormon was completed by these three men. The first number of the Standard was issued February 23, following. Elder Bull was appointed president of the San Francisco conference of the Church, and later -in July, 1857-was called to fill a mission to the Sandwich Islands to publish a newspaper in the Hawaiian language. When about to

start for this new field of labor, a call was made for the elders to return to Utah, owing to the coming of Johnston's army. He reached Utah in January, 1858, and resumed his labors in the Deseret News office.

Besides his labors in the mechanical department of the newspaper, Elder Bull frequently made trips through the territory in the interest of the business, and once made a trip to San Francisco to procure a supply of paper. This journey of nearly three thousand miles, going and returning by the southern route, was made by team in a little over three months, and by covering the distance so expeditiously he prevented the paper from suspending publication. Later on he made periodical business trips both east and west for the News, and became familiarly known among those with whom he did business as the "Mormon newspaper man." In August, 1860, he was installed as foreman of the printing department of the News, but soon afterwards he was on his way to Europe to fill another mission. He reached Liverpool, England, on the 12th of December. He was first sent to preside over the Bedford conference; then, in 1863, to occupy a similar position in the Leeds district, comprising the Sheffield, Leeds and Hull conferences. He also labored in the Millennial Star office, and superintended the publication of several of the Church works.

After an absence of four years he returned home, and also to his former position in the printing establishment. In the fall of 1866, he was released for a time from his position as foreman on the newspaper to take charge of the publication of the Juvenile Instructor, which had been started at the beginning of that year by Apostle George Q. Cannon. Again he was assigned to his place in the printing department of the News, and for a period of about ten years acted as purchasing agent and advertising solicitor in connection with his other duties. In the fall of 1877, Elder Bull started on another mission to England, accompanied by his wife. This time he was absent about two years. Besides laboring in the Birmingham and Liverpool conferences, he superintended the printing of several of the Church publications. Returning home, he again took up his labors at the office of the Deseret News, preferring to stay with this establishment, although having had, at several times, offers of employment in other places. Soon after

the opening of the Salt Lake Temple he was engaged therein, and his wife also became one of the workers there.

On October 24, 1895, his wife died of pneumonia, after a brief illness. Elder Bull married again in January, 1897, the lady of his choice being Miss Zina V. Hyde, daughter of the late Apostle Orson Hyde. After a few years' service in the Salt Lake Temple, he again took to the printing business in the pioneer establishment of Utah, where he remained, as already stated, until within a few days of his death.

Elder Bull's life was an exceedingly active and useful one. He was full of energy, and loved his work, in which he took a great deal of pride. He was not ashamed of the fact that he was a working man, and did what he could to dignify labor. He qualified himself in his profession, and added to this qualification the highly valuable quality of trustworthiness. He was thorough and reliable, and could always be depended upon to carry to a successful finish whatever he undertook to do. It was these principles in his character that made him so useful in his chosen occupation; and it is these principles that make men valuable in every useful pursuit. A man may have brilliant natural talents, but unless he cultivates with those talents the habits of industry and perseverance, and establishes a character for reliability, his native ability is of little avail.




War in the Far East.

The announcement that the Japanese had attacked the Russian fleet at Port Arthur and badly damaged three Russian war ships was the first declaration of war by Japan against Russia. The early naval engagement had a telling effect in favor of Japan, whose first move was to disable and endanger the efficiency of the Russian fleet. This was necessary in order that the Japanese might move their land troops undisturbed into Korea and Manchuria.

For months, a diplomatic controversy has been going on between Russia and Japan, and all the time both nations have been pushing on vigorously preparations for war. Throughout all the diplomatic procedure, there has been a striking contrast between the methods of the Japanese and the Russians; the former have acted in a prompt, decisive and open manner; the latter have delayed their answers, consumed all the time possible, and have been indirect and evasive in all their dealings. The terms of the proposed negotiations have not been given to the public, and only such information as could be obtained through the worming of the press agents, and on "reliable authority," has come to the public.

Towards the close of the negotiations, the Czar of Russia came out with strong declarations of his determination to preserve peace, and yield, as far as national pride would possibly permit, to the demands of Japan. No doubt the Czar sincerely hoped for peace; but though he is autocrat of all the Russias, he is still

more or less subject to the predominant influence of leading Russians who really belong to what is styled the war party of that country. But that is really Russian policy,—to ask for everything at the outset, and stop with what she really wants; and no doubt the Czar was really ready to make important concessions to Japan, in order to avert a war, and yield to the pressure of her ally, France.

So far as the outside world is permitted to know the terms of Russia's offer before the outbreak of the war, the situation was about as follows:

1-Russia was prepared to grant Japan all the latter asked for in Korea. 2-Russia was ready to acknowledge Chinese sovereignty in Manchuria, and to respect all treaty rights made between China and foreign nations with respect to trade in Manchuria. 3-Russia was willing to embody the terms of propositions one and two in a formal treaty. 4-Russia gave assurance that she would not initiate war, even though Japan should occupy Korea.

These propositions contained all that Japan had been contending for, but there was a string to the "April fool wallet," by which the Japanese clearly foresaw that all these treaty rights could be snatched away from Japan at the moment the latter stooped to pick them up. Russia tacked on to her very liberal concessions an inventory setting forth Russia's interests and rights in [Manchuria. The recognition of these inventorial rights would really place Manchuria in complete control of Russia, and place that Chinese province in about the same position that Egypt is today. Turkey nominally governs Egypt, but only nominally. So the Japanese clearly foresaw in the Russian inventory what they honestly believed to be a trick. At the same time, the Russians were moving their troops forward to occupy the most important positions for strategic purposes. The movement, therefore, of the Russian navy and land forces came so near the point of a challenge to war that the Japanese felt that a moment's time could not be lost, and struck a staggering blow to Russia, without waiting for the formal declaration of war, although it is said that the Russians made the first attack upon the Japanese at Chemulpo fort, in western Korea.

« PředchozíPokračovat »