Obrázky stránek


with the French and Indians in 1755 he was commissioned a Lieutenant under Captain Rodgers whose boldness and enterprise were in unison with those of Stark. They speedily raised a company of brave hardy men and were ordered to join the regiment at Fort Edward. They arrived shortly after Sir William Johnson was attacked by the French and Indians near Bloody Pond. In the fall the troops returned to their homes. In the winter of 1756 a corps of rangers was raised to protect the frontier settlements. Rodgers and Stark were put in command and repaired to Fort Edward in April with their company. Nothing worthy of note occurred until the winter of 1757 when this company and two others were ordered to seize the supplies on the way from Crown Point to Ticonderoga. The Colonial troops had taken a few sleighs and were on their way to Fort George when they were furiously attacked by the combined force of the French and Indians. A desperate and bloody battle was fought-Captain Spickman was killed and Captain Rodgers severely wounded. The entire command then devolved upon Lieut. Stark. Being overpowered by numbers he ordered a retreat. With the coolness and skill of an experienced veteran he drew off his men keeping the enemy at a respectful distance by a well directed fire when too closely pressed. He brought away all his wounded men and had them conveyed in sleighs to Fort George. He was at once elected to fill the place of Captain Spickman. The next spring he was ordered to New York where he suffered severely from the small pox and was unfit for duty until the next autumn when he returned and wintered at Fort · Edward.

In 1758 Gen. Abercrombie planned an attack upon Ticonderoga. The rangers under Major Rodgers were sent forward to reconnoitre the enemy and make way for the main body of troops. The evening previous to that fatal attack the Major received orders to carry the bridge between Lake George and the plains of Tie early the next morning. On the approach of the rangers the French and Indians were assembled in force to dispute their passage. A halt was madeCapt. Stark advised the Major to advance rapidly by which means the bridge was cleared instantly. During the whole of that sanguinary action no officer manifested more cool and determined bravery than Capt. Stark. The Colonial troops were defeated which ended that campaign. It was an unfortunate affair inspiring the Indians with boldness in their career of predatory warfare.

Early in 1759 Capt. Stark obtained leave of absence and hastened to his fond parents and friends. Above all he consummated his plighted vows to Elizabeth Page who he promptly led to the hymeneal altar in the good old fashioned way. The tables were covered with spare-ribs baked pork and beans, pumpkin pies, short cake, gingerbread and dough-nuts. Smiling faces, hearty kisses and good wishes had free course and were not cramped into nonentity by modern etiquette. Imported refinement has been frittering away the richest enjoyments of American life for the last fifty years.

The ensuing spring he repaired to his post in the army and added to his military fame in the reduction of Crown Point and Tie. He served to the end of the French war and saw the English standard wave triumphantly over the Canadas. His bravery forced unqualified applause from his superiors who were subscquently compelled to witness a new edition of his military tactics fresh from the font of liberty.

· At the consummation of the conquest of the Canadas he retired to the bosom of his family where he drank deeply of the untold joys of domestic felicity until British tyranny roused him to action in a nobler cause. He had fought in the army of the mother country until her most hated enemy had been conquered on the heights of Abraham. He had been her faithful subject but was not willing to become her slave. He boldly opposed the usurpations of the crown and kindled the fire of patriotism in all around him who had courage to be free. He was prudent but firm as the granite rock. He hoped for the bestprepared for the worst. He delighted in the sunshine of peace but held himself ready to meet the fury of the impending storm should it burst upon his beloved country. He pointed his neighbors to the dark clouds as they rose higher and blacker and urged them to prepare for the approaching crisis. Soon American blood stained the heights of Lexington-the cry-to arms! to arms !-rent the air and was carried, as on wings of mighty wind, to the remotest bounds of the down-trodden colonies.

On the reception of this heart-rending news Capt. Stark mounted his horse and hastened to the scene of action. On his way he imparted patriotic fire to those he met urging them to rally at Medford where he would meet them on his return. Large numbers assembled there with their rusty muskets, powder-horns and slugs. By acclamation he was made their leader with the rank of Colonel aided by Lieut. Col. Wyman and Maj. McClary. Ten large companies promptly rallied around him with hearts beating high for their injured bleeding country. The necessary discipline was introduced-all were anxious to learn military tactics. Shortly after the organization of his regiment Col. Stark was ordered by Gen. Ward to examine Noodle's Island for the purpose of locating a battery. With two other officers he repaired to the place designated and returned under a brisk but harmless fire from a British boat in close pursuit. At the battle of Bunker's Hill his regiment seemed invincible. Unbroken and undismayed-his brave soldiers repelled the repeated attacks of the enemy with dreadful slaughter. When ordered to retreat his men reluctantly obeyed the command.

In the service of enlisting troops and obtaining supplies for the army Col. Stark had no superior. His influence was broad and commanding. When Boston was evacuated he marched his regiment to New York to aid in erecting fortifications. The ensuing May he was ordered to Canada. In June he met his troops at St. Johns and proceeded to the mouth of the Sorrel. The unfortunate expedition to Three Rivers was undertaken contrary to his advice. At Chamblee he and his men rendered essential service to the troops at that place then suffering under the small-pox. From there he crossed over to Chimney Point and encamped. When ordered to Ticonderoga by Gen. Schuyler he drew up a formal remonstrance assigning his specific objections and correctly pointed out the disasters that must and did render the expedition abortive. On presenting his views to the General he obeyed the order. When Gen. Gates took command of the northern army he placed Col. Stark over a brigade. Towards the close of that campaign Congress was led into the error of raising several younger Colonels to Brigadiers-a violation of common justice-a source of discord in the army. About the same time Col. Stark marched into Pennsylvania and joined Washington a few days before the battle of Trenton. So poorly shod and disheartened were the soldiers that then composed the mere nucleus of the American army, that they melted the snow with gushing blood from their feet and scalding tears from their eyes. At the battle of Trenton Col. Stark led the vanguard and contributed largely towards obtaining the most important victory of the Revolution. At Princeton he was equally efficient. On retiring to winter quarters at Morristown Washington despatched him to his native state to raise recruits and supplies. In April he was surprised to learn that a new roll of promotions had been made out and his name omitted. He was too patriotic to complain-too high-minded to submit to such ingratitude. He surrendered his commission and retired to his farm-still urging every man to action in the cause of Liberty.

When New Hampshire was called upon to furnish men to oppose the onward march of Burgoyne Gen. Stark was urged to take command of her troops. He informed the Council he was willing to lead the troops where duty called but would not place himself under any power but that of his own state. His terms were promptly accepted. The brave Stark was immediately under way with an independent corps of dauntless soldiers who were ready to follow him through storms of iron hail and British thunder. He encamped at Bennington, Vermont, where he was waited upon by Maj. Gen. Lincoln who had orders to conduct the New Hampshire troops to head-quarters. The Maj. Gen. found himself in the wrong box and returned to Gen. Gates who complained to Congress and Washington that Gen. Stark was bent on fighting upon his own hook which he was permitted to do with great effect. Apprised of this apparent discord Burgoyne despatched Col. Baum to cut off the Americans by detail. Gen. Stark determined to give the illustrious visitant a warm reception. On the 13th of August 1777 Baum encamped on an eminence near the town and erected a breastwork of logs-his ardor for a sudden attack having abated. Early the next morning Gen. Stark formed his troops into two divisions of attack and a reserve. The two divisions advanced upon the front and rear of the enemy at the same time and drove them so rapidly upon the reserve that many were killed and most of the balance taken prisoners. In a short time a formidable reinforcement approached from the British army ready to snatch the laurels of victory from the Americans. At that critical moment Col. Warner advanced with his bold Green Mountain boys and kept a far superior number at bay until Gen. Stark could bring all his men into action that could be spared from guarding the prisoners. The red coats were routed and were so generous as to leave their artillery for the use of the patriots. A considerable number of prisoners were taken in the second engagement-the mantle of night saved many more from the same fate. As Gen. Burgoyne advanced, Gen. Stark retired to the vicinity of the American army to take part in a general engagement which he saw must soon occur.

On the 15th September his term of service expired when he returned home with his troops. He immediately reported himself to the council and urged the necessity of sending new recruits at once to aid in capturing the British army. In a few days he joined Gen. Gates with a stronger force than before. He was in favor of a bold movement and placed his troops in the rear to cut off all communication with Lake George. The surrender of Gen. Burgoyne took place soon after when Gen. Stark returned home with his troops. Shortly after his return Congress commissioned him to prepare an expedition against Canada making his head quarters at Albany, New York. He performed the duties assigned him with promptness and fidelity. The project was abandoned and he permitted to return to his family. Early in 1778 he was put in command of the northern departmerit which was in a chaotic condition-with but few troops to protect an extensive frontier-a combination of tories, peculators, defaulters and reckless speculators around him-all tending to render his situation unpleasant and embarrassing. He commenced a rigid reform and continued in the vigorous discharge of his duty until October when he joined Gen. Gates in Rhode Island where he continued until the close of that campaign. During the ensuing winter he was engaged in raising recruits and supplies for the army. The next spring he was stationed in Rhode Island to attend to any calls that might be made by the enemy and received all their visiting parties with such marked promptitude and attention that they took final leave in November. About this time he was ordered to join Gen. Washington in New Jersey with such troops as could be spared from the garrison. The campaign closed without the anticipated battle and Gen. Stark was put upon his usual winter service of obtaining recruits and supplies for the army. Early in the ensuing May he joined Washington at Morristown and was in the battle of the Short Hills. Gen. Washington found it necessary to send him back to New England to obtain more recruits and supplies and concentrate them at West Point. This duty he performed nobly and successfully. He then repaired to his troops at the Liberty Pole in New Jersey. In September he joined Gen. St. Clair. Shortly after that he was ordered to advance near York Island with 2500 men and a large train of wagons and secure all the grain and forage possible and remain their for further orders.

He was completely successful, returning to West Point with a large supply of necessaries for the army. On his return he was reduced very low by sickness which rendered him unfit for duty until the next spring when he was put in command of the northern department. He found it in a worse condition than when he took charge of it previously. Tories, spies, traitors and robbers were acting in concert with the enemy in Canada. Energetic measures were required and adopted. A military post was established at Saratoga. A leader of the plunderers was arrested and his company secured. A British Lieutenant's comniission was found upon his person-he was tried by a court martial-condemned as a spy and hung the next day. His friends were threatening and noisy-a copy of the proceedings was sent to Washington-received his unqualified approbation and placed Gen. Stark in a position to restore the department to a healthy tone. He continued at that station until after the surrender of Cornwallis when he returned to his native stale for the winter to raise recruits and supplies. It is believed Gen. Stark did more in this service than any one individual during the Revolution.

« PředchozíPokračovat »