Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 78
Since McClintock's expedition, many have searched King William Island for clues
to throw light on the end of Franklin's expedition, which remains mysterious in
several respects. Despite continuing efforts, most of what we know today is based
Searching for Franklin on Beechey Island and in Wellington Channel, 1850-1851
For three years Penny was deprived of a vessel. At last able to resume whaling in
1844, he had no time for exploration, spending the early part of the season off ...
ever, was able to demonstrate that this was the site of Franklin's winter quarters
when his men discovered three graves, dated January and April 1846. Once an
exhaustive search had been conducted of the island, Penny next attempted to get
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.