Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 84
ing Cathay through the hemisphere designated as Spanish by the Treaty of
Tordesillas (1494); instead they preferred to investigate the Northeast Passage.
Political considerations were equally significant in later developments. The
Table 17 Northeast Passage: Successful and Attempted Transits, 1870-1936 until
1896. Adolf Erik Nordenskiold's first transit of the Northeast Passage in 1878-
1880 was important as much for focusing international attention on the seaway
There was certainly no hope of a Northeast Passage. ... undertaken chiefly for the
purpose of discovering a North-east, Northwest, or polar passage between the
Atlantic and the Pacific. ... geography of northeast Siberia remained unresolved.
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.