Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 63
Operation Deep Freeze Initially organized to provide logistical support for U.S.
activities during the International Geophysical ... to Antarctica: the United States
Antarctic Service Expedition (1939-1941) and Operation Highjump (1946-1947).
Hope Bay was to become the great sledging center of the Falkland Island
Dependencies Survey (the new name for Operation Tabarin following the end of
World War II; see below). This tradition was established early, with a four-man
On their way to the Gaussberg, the Western Party discovered the Haswell Islands
, where a survey party landed in December 1947 during Operation Windmill to
provide ground control for air photographs taken earlier that year by the Western
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.