Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 92
Table 17 Northeast Passage: Successful and Attempted Transits, 1870-1936 until
1896. Adolf Erik Nordenskiold's first transit of the Northeast Passage in 1878-
1880 was important as much for focusing international attention on the seaway
Table 19 Northwest Passage, Eighteenth-century Expeditions Note: For a full list
of Northwest Passage firsts, see ... Hearne proved that only at such high latitudes
might the Passage be found, having observed no likely channels farther south.
Note: For a full list of Northwest Passage firsts, see T. C. Pullen and C. W. M.
Swithinbank. 1991. "Transits of the Northwest Pasage, 1906-1990," Polar Record
, 27(163): 365-367. Willem Barents's expedition prepares to sail back to Holland (
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.