Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 70
Indian informants suggested a large river flowed north from the latter, but in his
later maps Pond optimistically showed it flowing west. It was on the basis of
information supplied by Pond that Mackenzie was to make his first attempt to
reach the ...
On 30 May, he returned to the mainland to make his way up the Kendall River,
where he met the party from Fort Confidence with his two boats. Sailing them
down the Coppermine, he next followed the southern coast of Victoria Island
The next year, a hut was found 40 miles to the west on the estuary of the River
Simsa. The two finds were clearly of the same date and resulted from the same
incident, though it remained unclear whether the hut had been built by survivors
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.