Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 84
In: J. H. Bater and R. A. French, eds., Studies in Russian historical geography, vol
. ... Willoughby himself had met disaster on the Lapland coast in 1 554, Richard
Chancellor, one of his captains, survived to establish trading links with Russia.
Hunters such as these regarded the islands as a no-man's land rather than as
part of Russia. The Russian response was to relocate several Nentsy families to
Malyye Kar- makuly (72°13'N, 52°25'E) in 1877. A relief station for shipwrecked ...
p Pakhtusov, Petr (1800-1835) Ice conditions off the east coast of the Russian
Arctic archipelago of Novaya Zemlya — "New Land" — meant that it was almost
inaccessible to sailing vessels. Not until the 1830s were substantial sections of it
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.