Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 65
... Willoughby Barents Sea to Novaya Zemlya London merchants 1553-1554
Chancellor Barents and White seas London ... 1556-1557 Borough Novaya
Zemlya and Vaygach Island Muscovy Company 1580-1581 Pet Vaygach Island
Norwegian hunters began visiting Novaya Zemlya from 1869 onward. The walrus
population of Svalbard was declining, and Erling Carlsen and Edvard
Johanessen were persuaded to come here instead. Johanessen
circumnavigated the ...
p Pakhtusov, Petr (1800-1835) Ice conditions off the east coast of the Russian
Arctic archipelago of Novaya Zemlya — "New Land" — meant that it was almost
inaccessible to sailing vessels. Not until the 1830s were substantial sections of it
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.