Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 74
Traveling in the specially built 15-meter motor vessel Nauja, Thomas conducted
the first soundings of eastern Foxe Basin ... to conducting a ground survey, the
expedition also studied the fauna, flora, geology, and major geographical
From their hut, at Dawes Point on the east coast, they conducted the most
detailed topographic and geological survey to date. See also: Barents, Willem;
Bruce, William Speirs; Hoel, Adolf; Svalbard References and further reading:
Bruce, W. S. ...
Knowledge of subglacial topography here and elsewhere in Antarctica was vastly
extended by the radio-echo sounding program conducted by the Scott Polar
Research Institute with U.S. logistical support between 1967 and 1979. See also:
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.