Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 85
decided to turn back out of concern that the marked westerly drift of the ice was
threatening to take them through Bering Strait into the Bering Sea. After sixty days
on the ice, they returned to Flaxman Island to discover Duchess of Bedford ...
Four days were spent searching for him before Rasmussen decided that they
must go on, leaving behind food, clothing, and maps in the faint hope that Olsen
might still be alive. With fourteen dogs pulling two sledges, they reached the
Fortunately, he had decided to wait until the technology was more advanced. Ten
years later he again approached Godard to commission the construction of an
airship with funding provided by the Chicago Record-Herald, as eager as ever for
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.