Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 82
As soon as land was discovered in February 1929 east of 150°W, the eastern
limit of the British-claimed Ross Dependency, Byrd named it Marie Byrd Land for
his wife. As further discoveries followed, this land increased in size until finally ...
Q Beaufort Island and Mount Erebus, discovered 28 January 1841 (Ross,. Queen
Elizabeth Islands (Canada) This name was adopted in 1954 to designate the
islands in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago north of Parry Channel. The group is ...
In December 1908, Shackleton discovered Beardmore Glacier and followed it up
to the polar plateau, naming the mountains to the west the Queen Alexandra
Range (84°S, 169°W), and those to the east the Commonwealth Range (84°30'S,
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.