Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 86
... 1894 Wellman Dogs Seven Islands 1897 Andree Balloon Spitsbergen 1898-
1899 Wellman Dogs Franz Josef Land 1899-1900 Abruzzi, Luigi Duke of Dogs
Franz Josef Land 1900 Peary Dogs North Greenland 1901-1902 Baldwin Dogs
Dogs could be fed seals and, in Antarctica, penguins. ... Throughout much of the
north, it was easier to obtain good ponies than good dogs. Dog handlers were
generally scarce, whereas no special training was required to lead ponies.
Attempts at using dogs were not successful initially due to lack of knowledge in
handling them. Edward Parry, George Lyon, James Clark Ross, and Elisha Kent
Kane, among others, tried dogs, but the tendency was to revert to man-hauling ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.