Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 91
While open, its members were particularly active in the establishment of refuge
huts, erecting one on Northeast Glacier in 1 954- 1955, two near Bills Gulch
glacier on the Bowman Coast on the east side of the peninsula in the winter of
east to form an elongated band stretching as far as the Chukotka Peninsula. This
view was put forward to explain the many sightings of land off the coast of Arctic
Russia. Only later was it appreciated that these were either unconnected island ...
p Pakhtusov, Petr (1800-1835) Ice conditions off the east coast of the Russian
Arctic archipelago of Novaya Zemlya — "New Land" — meant that it was almost
inaccessible to sailing vessels. Not until the 1830s were substantial sections of it
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.