Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 84
Three days later, a Grasshopper weather station dropped at the Pole indicated
promising conditions, and all was in place for three planes to take off from
McMurdo: a Skymaster to act as pathfinder, a Douglas R-4D Skytrain to make the
Ten days later, having reached the northern tip of Axel Heiberg Island, Peary
believed that he could see land in the far distance. This he named "Crocker Land
" for George Crocker, one of the most generous members of the Peary Arctic Club
Siple's Later Involvement in Antarctic Exploration During World War II, Siple
worked for the U.S. government, chiefly in the Office of the Quartermaster General
on the design and testing of clothing suitable for various parts of the world, ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.