Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 85
South Georgia's two principal mountain chains — the Allardyce and Salvesen
Ranges — include numerous 2,000- meter peaks, many of which remain
unclimbed. They present formidable difficulties, not least because weather
favorable for ...
This involved constructing a 6-mile trail and then a cable lift up a 200-meter cliff,
on top of which a temporary camp was ... thaw line — about 1,500 meters — and
then across the ice sheet to where the station was to be constructed at 70°55'N, ...
... 1 meter high and just under 6 meters apart. Fringed beneath by tent canvas,
they were lashed across on top with more canvas and rope. The area enclosed
measured 5.5 meters by 3.7 meters and was nowhere higher than 1 .37 meters.
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.