Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 80
Mackintosh, Aeneas (1879-1916) For sheer unremitting slog without hope of new
discovery, the Ross Sea party of Sir Ernest Shackleton's Imperial Trans- Antarctic
Expedition cannot be equaled. Overshadowed by the epic adventure of the ...
world" to the Cape Crozier rookery of emperor penguins on the other side of the
island in the dead of the Antarctic winter. And it was from Cape Evans that Scott
himself set out to reach the South Pole in a party that included Wilson and
Once it was erected, Wild led a six-man party on a depot-laying expedition
eastward, returning on 6 April to find the hut already almost buried by snow. West
Base was marginally less windy than Commonwealth Bay but was otherwise
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.