Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 78
available for his planned British National Antarctic Expedition, he welcomed the
activity of other countries since they gave him greater leverage in persuading his
own government that Britain should not be left behind by others, particularly ...
For many, all these achievements pale in insignificance when compared to his
role in the foundation of the League of Nations and his humanitarian work on
behalf of refugees. The First Crossing of Greenland, 1888-1889 Nansen planned
He planned to winter twice during the voyage, which would enable him to
conduct a full scientific program and explore the islands north of Russia. Having
never visited the Arctic before, he decided to follow the example of his compatriot
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.