Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 83
Alert was finally established in April 1950 near Cape Sheridan, after the
icebreakers proved incapable of repeating their voyage the following year. In
1962, the submarine USS Skate pioneered a new route to the Arctic Ocean
through Nares ...
This proved much to his advantage when he visited Antarctica. Fridtjof Nansen
derived his"Nansen sled" design from the Inuit komatik, of which he made a
careful study. Considering the Inuit sledges as too heavy, Nansen wanted a
strong but ...
Finding dogs of suitable quality proved more difficult, but eventually fifty were
obtained in the Russian Far East. ... Before he left, Shmidt instructed Ushakov
that should it prove impossible to pick him up, he was to make his way back to the
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.