Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 82
The Debenham Islands and Stonington have been the major centers from which
Marguerite Bay and its adjacent region have been explored. During the 1950s
FIDS also maintained Base Y on Horseshoe Island (67°51'S, 67°12'W).
A Norwegian royal proclamation of 14 January 1939 consolidated the various
discoveries made by Norwegian explorers and whalers in this region into a
coherent territorial claim on behalf of Norway, defining Queen Maud Land as "
Glossary Listing of Polar Expeditions by Region Arctic Svalbard Southern Ocean
... A circular belt within the Southern Ocean where the cold Antarctic surface
water plunges beneath warmer water spreading south from more temperate
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.