Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 85
The Debenham Islands and Stonington have been the major centers from which
Marguerite Bay and its adjacent region have been explored. During the 1950s
FIDS also maintained Base Y on Horseshoe Island (67°51'S, 67°12'W).
A Norwegian royal proclamation of 14 January 1939 consolidated the various
discoveries made by Norwegian explorers and whalers in this region into a
coherent territorial claim on behalf of Norway, defining Queen Maud Land as "
Glossary Listing of Polar Expeditions by Region Arctic Svalbard Southern Ocean.
Technical terms have been avoided whenever possible in this book. Some,
however, cannot be omitted, and others may be essential to preserve the
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.