Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 83
On 22 November, Discovery sailed from Hobart, heading first to Macquarie Island
, then searching in vain for Royal Company and Emerald Islands, two reported
islands now known not to exist. Mawson's plan for this season was to take on
His reported voyage south of the Antarctic Circle for 3,000 ... a course from the
prevailing easterlies, Morrell's reported voyage was unbelievably fast and trouble
-free, quite apart from lying south of Antarctica's coastline for much of the way.
Weymouth's reported passage was next explored by Hudson in 1610-1611. See
also: Davis, John (ca. 1 550- 1 605); Davis Strait; Hudson, Henry (1610-161 1);
Hudson Strait; Northwest Passage References and further reading: Purchas, ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.