Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 86
The Kara Sea route became increasingly important in late imperial times, and at
the same time American vessels ... Developing the Northern Sea Route became
the central objective of the Soviet Union's policy for its Arctic regions from 1932 ...
Henry Larsen's first transit — the second ever — was by a fifth route; like
Amundsen he sailed east of King William, but then ... All five routes were entered
from the Atlantic via Lancaster Sound, but there was another possible entrance
Opening up the Northern Sea Route as a commercial seaway became the
overriding objective of Soviet Arctic policy. In 1932, the Chief Administration of
the Northern Sea Route (Glavsemorput', or GUSMP) replaced the Committee of
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.