Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 85
Depot-laying journeys began soon after Falcon's departure on 20 August, though
bad weather and an outbreak of food poisoning meant that ... birth to Marie
Ahnighito, whose pure white skin soon caused the Inuit to nickname her "Snow
Of these, only Aufderheide had any Arctic experience — acquired on his previous
year's hunting trip — though back at Eureka and soon to be airlifted out to join
them was Corporal Jack Austad of the Royal Canadian Air Force, a senior ...
Luck had brought them a long way already. At 2 a.m. on 19 May, their path lit by
moonlight in a clear sky, they set out up the steep slopes into the interior. Having
made a rapid initial climb, they soon realized the formidable nature of the land to
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.