Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 86
In February 1954, the Australian station Mawson (67°36'S, 62°52'E) was opened
at the head of Horseshoe Harbor, one of very few good anchorages in East
Antarctica. This was Australia's first station on the Antarctic continent and is the
Several scientific stations have been maintained at various times along this
lengthy section of coast. ... Its scientific program was continued when South Africa
took over the station in January 1960, replacing it in February 1962 by SANAE ...
From the 1950s onward, a number of other stations have operated in Victoria
Land.The joint U.S.-New Zealand station Hallett (72°18'S, 170°13'E) opened in
February 1957 at the tip of Cape Hallett, near the foot of Mount Sabine in
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.