Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 84
Mawson visited again the following year to survey the region in greater detail. ...
Geological surveys began almost immediately after the establishment of Mawson
Station, with dog and tractor teams setting out as early as the first winter.
In addition to conducting a ground survey, the expedition also studied the fauna,
flora, geology, and major geographical features. It is unlikely that anyone, not
even the Inuit, had visited these islands before. Coastal Survey of Banks Island, ...
Hope Bay was to become the great sledging center of the Falkland Island
Dependencies Survey (the new name for Operation Tabarin following the end of
World War II; see below). This tradition was established early, with a four-man
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.