Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 3
tion why European exploring expeditions — especially those of the British —
abandoned animal for human power in the nineteenth and early twentieth
centuries. Early voyages of exploration were essentially that. They involved
sailing in one's ...
With the exception of British survey parties in 1 957- 1 958 and 1966-1967 on the
island as part of a general triangula- tion of the South Shetland Islands and to
complete a survey of English Strait, the majority of work on this island has been ...
eration traverses complemented the more complex triangula- tion networks
recorded optically. There were considerable advantages in efficiency and range.
Around the same time, the International Geophysical Year paved the way for ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.