Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 69
Stonington had been visited in 1 943 by the Argentine vessel Primero de Mayo,
which had left a cylinder stating Argentina's claim to the sector in which
Stonington lay. Shortly before the Americans arrived, East Base had also been
visited by a ...
Willem de Vlamingh is reported as rounding Novaya Zemlya to the north in 1664
and sailing across an ice-free Kara Sea to see the Yamal Peninsula in what must
have been an exceptionally good year. He visited Novaya Zemlya again four ...
Despite their relatively southern location, they had been visited by few
Europeans and by no ethnographers. The Southern Party remained with the
Caribou Inuit until late June: Rasmussen copying down folktales, Birket-Smith
continuing his ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.