Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 31
88 Biscoe, John ducted there. The first systematic aerial survey was undertaken
by the Falkland Islands and Dependencies Aerial Survey Expedition in 1956-
1957. See also: Argentina; Biscoe John; Charcot, Jean-Baptiste; Sealing and ...
After an uneventful passage, land was sighted on 1 5 February 1 832, which at
the time Biscoe believed to be the southernmost land yet seen. It was Adelaide
Island and the first of Biscoe's new discoveries, as his course took him north
With the propeller turning sporadically, Charcot sought shelter first in Biscoe Bay
and then farther east in Flanders Bay, where he remained for eleven days to
patch the leaks. On 19 February, an excellent natural harbor was discovered on
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.