Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 24
Bouvet de Lozier, Jean (1705-ca. 1788) Jean-Baptiste-Charles Bouvet de Lozier
led one of a series of French eighteenth-century expeditions during which
several sub-Antarctic islands were discovered; in this case, Bouvet Island, the
Little was known about either of these islands or about the quantities of whales to
be found nearby. ... Bouvet Island Controversially Claimed for Norway, 1927-
1928 Undeterred by these disappointing results, Christensen decided to examine
Norwegian Claims Extended to Peter I Island, 1928-1929 Unlike the expedition of
Odd I, Norvegia's first expedition had been a great success, not simply in relation
to the annexation of Bouvet Island to Norway, but, more significantly from ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.