Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 18
Cabot John (ca. 1450-ca. 1498) Although it is probable that John Cabot did not
sail sufficiently far north to reach the Arctic Ocean during either of his two
voyages, as the first expeditions to seek a Northwest Passage to China and
Japan, some ...
124 Cabot Sebastian Cabot Disappears into the West, 1498 In the following year
Cabot was provided with five ships, one by the king and four by Bristol and
London merchants. The fleet left Bristol in early May. Cabot himself was never
Cabot Sebastian 125 According to this interpretation, Cabot sailed in two ships,
with 300 men on board — an improbably high number — heading west-
northwest via Iceland and southern Greenland to the coast of North America and
then up ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.