Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 48
Greenland, North For the purposes of this encyclopedia, North Greenland is
defined as that area falling north of a line drawn at 75°N from Melville Bay across
to Northeast Foreland, Crown Prince Christian Land. Peary Land and the
Knuth, Eigil 359 Unloading in Bronlund Fjord, Peary Land (Scott Polar Research
Institute) Land, just short of 81°N. He had hoped to reach Peary Land but was
frustrated by open water north of Crown Prince Christian Land. In August, the ...
The weather improved in Independence Fjord, allowing some minor discoveries
to be made, the most significant of which was a message left in a cairn by Mylius-
Erichsen at the point where he had discovered Peary's error in reporting Peary ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.