Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 86
150 Colbeck, William sequently extended to the south and west by Wilhelm
Filchner's discovery of the Luitpold Coast in January 1912 and by Sir Ernest
Shackleton's discovery of the Caird Coast in January 1915. The major British
base Halley ...
On 1 2 September 1 846, Terror and Erebus were beset off Point Victory, King
William Island. 4. In May 1847, Franklin sent Lieutenant Graham Gore, mate
Charles F. Des Voeux, and six men from Erebus to explore south along the west
354 King William Island in Admiralty Bay. Initially constructed in 1946-1947 as a
summer station using timber transported from the abandoned whaling station on
Deception Island, this temporary base was set up out of British concern that the ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.