Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 84
Knowledge of this region was further extended by Peter Freuchen and Therkel
Mathi- assen in 1922 and 1923 during the fifth Thule Expedition of Knud
Rasmussen. Foxe Basin Coast The inaccessibility of the east coast of Baffin is as
In the 1920s and 1930s, this region became the subject of a territorial dispute
between Denmark and Norway. There was an established tradition of
Norwegians trapping in what was referred to as "Eirik Raude Land" (71°30'-75°
40'N), and in ...
King George Island 353 through the mountains of Queen Louise Land, a region
cut off from the coast by broad glaciers, which otherwise remained essentially
unexplored until the 1950s. King Frederik VIII Land lay largely north of the
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.