Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 83
To this end, he established Exp^ditions Polaires Franchises (EPF), a primarily
logistical agency with scientific input from relevant national bodies. The first EPF
Antarctic expedition sailed from Brest on 26 November 1948 in Commandant ...
Although strong political motivation underlay Norway's involvement, it was
essentially a scientific expedition, and a comprehensive scientific program was
maintained throughout the winter, despite temperatures descending to -46°C (-
Collections From the extant records the categories of subject matter become
relatively clear: navigational guides, polar literature, reference works, scientific
and technical literature, religious and inspiration works, literary classics including
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
Další části 67 nejsou zobrazeny.