Obrázky stránek
[blocks in formation]

The Thirty-fourth regiment rendezvoused at Burlington, and was mustered in October 15, 1862, under proclamation of the President of July 2, 1862. It was immediately sent to Helena, Arkansas, where it joined the Thirteenth army corps in its operations on the Yazoo Pass expedition. At Arkansas Post, it had its most distinguished engagement, which closed the Arkansas River expedition. Herein the regiment won for itself high commendation, and for nearly a month thereafter it performed hard service. It was detailed to take 5,000 rebel prisoners to Camp Douglas, Chicago. While en route the small-pox broke out, and so crowded and filthy were the transports, the scenes enacted were revolting and terrible. Returning, the regiment joined General Herron's command, en route for Vicksburg, where they arrived July 11, 1863. The regiment was stationed near the Mississippi at the extreme left of the army, which place it held until the surrender of the beleaguered city. The regiment then moved to the Gulf department, and during the winter enjoyed high life, hunting clams and shells about the head of the Gulf of Mexico. The following spring they joined Bank's Red River campaign, noted more especially for its successful and brilliant retreat. May, 1864, the regiment moved to Baton Rouge; in July, to the mouth of the Mobile, where it took active part in reducing the rebel forts, and on the 5th of August, 1864, especially distinguished itself by a brilliant and successful sortie on Fort Gaines, resulting in its surrender. For its prowess it was, on the morning of the 23d, honored with the post of escort to the troops who received the captured garrison at Fort Morgan. The regiment was the peculiar victim of disease. It probably suffered more from that cause than any regiment from the State. It was at one time totally depleted. December 12, 1864, it was consolidated with the Thirty-eighth, but retained its number. It was, by special order, authorized to inscribe on its banner Chickasaw Bluffs, Arkansas Post, Vicksburg, Yazoo City, Fort Esperanza. It was mustered out

August 13, 1865, at Houston, Texas. It was known as the "Star Regiment," from the perfection of its drill.

Marion county was represented in companies D, E and G.

[blocks in formation]

Cain, John F., August 12.
Carpenter, Samuel, August 15; dis-
charged March 2, 1863.
Dalrymple, Daniel, August 15.
Estes, John, August 14.
Graves, Willis A., August 16; dis-
charged March 9, 1864.
Holloway, Thomas W., August 12.
Hall, Thomas L., August 16; dis-
charged January 6, 1863.
Leeper, James, August 12.
Lough, Samuel, August 12; died
February 4, 1863, at Saint Louis,

Moon, William J., August 16.
Mason, Amos, August 14; died Jan-

uary 28, 1863, at St. Louis.
Mumford, Charles W., August 9.
McGlothlen, George W., August 9.
Salyards, Joseph E., August 14; dis-
charged March 20, 1863.
Sams, George, August 15; died Jan-
uary 27, 1863, at St. Louis.
Vickroy, John W., August 11; dis-
charged March 3, 1863.
Wood, Isaac C., August 12; died
November 19, 1868, at New Or-

Webb, Noah M., August 14.
Williams, Pleasant, August 9.
Young, W. H. H., August 26; dis-
charged March 3, 1863.
Newbern, Newber, August 12; dis-
charged March 2, 1863.

Wasson, David, died at St. Louis,
January 28, 1863.

Dingeman, John W., October 5,



The Thirty-sixth regiment was organized in the summer of 1862, and ordered into quarters at Keokuk, September 8. It was mustered October 4, and reported to General Curtis at Helena, Arkansas, January 1, 1863, where it remained on post duty until February 24, when it joined the Yazoo Pass expedition, and returned to Helena, April 4, having in the meantime only met the enemy in skirmishes. Though only four men were wounded, large numbers of men and officers contracted disease on this expedition which unfitted them for active duty. At Helena, July 4, the regiment first smelled the smoke of battle when 3,500 Union boys successfully resisted the onslaught of over 18,000 rebels. They made the rebels sick and discouraged. August 10, the regiment left Helena with General Steele, on the Arkansas expedition which resulted in the capture of Little Rock, September 10. The regiment remained at Little Rock until March 23, following, when it again joined General Steele in the Red River expedition. During this expedition were fought the famous battles of Elkin's Ford, April 4; Prairie d'Anne, April 12; Camden, April 15; Mark's Mills, April 26 and Jenkins' Ferry, April 30. At Elkin's Ford, the fighting was severe, and the force of the enemy so great in the first part of the engagement the Union forces were driven, but Col. Kittredge opportunely came up on the left with a portion of the Thirty-sixth, charged the enemy and drove them from the field.

While the two brigades were moving from Camden, on the morning of the 25th of April, the wagon-train of 240 government forage wagons under the command of the second brigade, was suddenly attacked by the enemy, | near Mark's Mills, the rebel force outnumbering the Union men six to one. The fight lasted until noon, when the Union men were overpowered; not whipped, and captured. The loss was great on both sides: The Thirtysixth went into the engagement with about. 500 men, part of the regiment having been left at Camden, and came out with a loss of nearly half in Rilled and wounded. The regiment was marched to Tyler, Texas, and received most inhuman and brutal treatment at the hands of the rebels. They were driven on foot at rapid pace, like mules, fifty-two miles before halting. They had eaten a hasty breakfast the morning of the 25th, and not a particle of food was given them until the halt on the evening of the 26th. Their haversacks and rations were stolen, and all valuables, by the rebels, at whose mercy they were. When the halt was made, the boys seized some mule corn which they found, ate it raw, and sank to the ground exhausted. Chaplain Hare, who visited them during the night, writes that some were gnawing the remaining corn, others were asleep clutching an ear of raw corn half-eaten. At Tyler the regiment was kept, subjected to starvation and brutal treatment until the spring of 1865, when it was exchanged, and was ordered to St. Charles, on White River, for garrison duty.

That part of the regiment left at Camden took part in the battle of Jenkins Ferry. The regiment was mustered out at Duvall's Bluffs, Arkansas, August 24, 1865. The list of casualties will be found on page 184. The original number of men was 986.

Marion county was represented in company D.


Simeon Liggett, first sergeant, Au-
gust 2.
Francis M. Epperson, third corpo-
ral, August 13; promoted to first
sergeant; captured at Mark's Mills.


Crumpson, Isaac, August 12; died
October 22, 1863, at Hamilton.
Coder, Watson W., August 12;
wounded and captured at Mark's

Coder, Jacob F., August 12; cap-
tured at Mark's Mills.
Darnell, Amhurst M., August 2.
Darnell, William H., Aug. 2; trans-
ferred to invalid corps March 15,

Fall, Daniel T., August 2.
Griffis, Joseph, August 2.
Huntley, John, August 7.

[blocks in formation]

Ladd, Charles L., August 15; wound-
ed and captured at Mark's Mills;
died of wounds June 11, 1864, at

Moffatt, Curtis, August 2; captured
at Mark's Mills.
Marquardt, Frantz, August 2; cap-
tured at Mark's Mills.
McGruder, James R., August 15;
wounded at Jenkins' Ferry.
Parker, Lucien L., August 2; cap-
tured at Mark's Mills.

Robinson, John W., August 2; cap-
tured at Mark's Mills.

Sinclair, Stacy, August 2; died Oc

[blocks in formation]

The Thirty-seventh infantry was the well-known" Grey-Beard Regiment," so called from the fact that it was composed of men over 45 years of age. It was organized, under special orders of the War Department, August 11, 1862, to give opportunity to that class of patriotic citizens, who, too old to endure the fatigue of long marches and exposure of active field service, nevertheless were desirous of rendering the Nation some service. It was, therefore, provided that the regiment should be detailed only for post and garrison duty. Its history, therefore, is not brilliant, yet it performed valnable and effective service. It was stationed at St. Louis, Alton, Memphis, Cincinnati and Rock Island. In July, 1864, a detachment of fifty inen was sent as guard on a supply train over the Memphis and Charleston Railroad. On the way the train was fired into by bushwhackers concealed in the brush, and two men were killed. The result was that forty of the most prominent citizens of that section were arrested, and each day twenty of them were placed on the cars in the most conspicuous places and thus were the rebels made to do guard duty. This plan was continued until the attacks on trains ceased. The regiment was organized in October, 1862; mustered into the United States service December 15, 1862, and mustered out at Davenport, May 24, 1865. The casualties will be found on page 184.

Marion county was represented in companies E and K.


Edwin Davis, second lieutenant,
September 10.
Hartzell Wycoff, fifth sergeant, Sep-
tember 19.


Logan, Hugh, September 14.
Nely, Jacob, October 2; died Oc-
tober, 8, 1863, at Alton, Illinois.
Porter, Alexander H., September 17;
died March 9, 1863, at St. Louis.

Ross, David, September 17; died at | Sumner, Allen, September 19; disMuscatine January 3, 1863. charged December 21, 1863.

Strahan, Samuel H., September 17.


This regiment was mustered into service at Iowa City, November 15, 1862, and immediately moved to Columbus, Kentucky, arriving on the 18th, where it remained during the winter, until March 3, 1863, when it moved to Paducah. May 31, by order of General Grant, the regiment was ordered to Vicksburg. It reached Sartatia, on the Yazoo River, June 4, and during the siege of Vicksburg it was stationed in the vicinity of Haine's Bluffs. It did not meet the enemy in battle, but it encountered a more deadly foe in the disease-laden waters of Yazoo River. Its fifty days' service there was the worst in all its history. It next moved to Helena arriv ing there July 26, and after a short rest, joined General Steele's force against Little Rock. Reduced by malarial disease as was the regiment, this march told fearfully on their weakened constitutions; and of the six hundred men who started, only two hundred and fifty reported for duty on the morning of the entry into Little Rock. The regiment remained at Little Rock until the spring of 1864, when it moved with Steele's forces on the Camden expedition. April 3 it met the enemy at Okalona, when company B took a lively tilt with them into the woods and brush. The enemy caused company B to fall back for a time, when the boys gathered up their pluck and rushed upon the enemy, driving him from the field. On Sunday, the 10th, the regiment came upon the enemy at Prairie d' Anne, under cover of brush and thicket, but after a short, sharp skirmish the enemy were dislodged and driven away. It was in the great battle of the campaign, Jenkins' Ferry, April 30, the regiment distinguished itself, though for some reason it was divided, two companies being on the extreme right of the line of battle, two on the extreme left, and two in the center, leaving four companies under Col. Garrett, and only these four, H, E, K and G, were engaged, and for four hours without relief, in the hottest of the fight, they held their ground and covered themselves with renown. They remembered the little speech made to them in the morning by Colonel J. A. Garrett, typical of the man, and his confidence in the men. Said he:

"Boys! we will probably have a little fight. Remember your own good name, and the fair fame of the glorious young State which sent you to the field. Don't tarnish it. Do you see that flag? Follow and defend it! Don't shoot at the sky; there are no rebels up there. That climate does not suit them. Aim low, and send them where they belong. That's all." The battle was fought in Sabine bottoms, covered by heavy forest, mud and mire, it having rained hard the night before. The boys had drawn no rations of bread for five days. They had only coffee for supper the night before, and coffee for breakfast, but they waded into the fight with heroic valor, firing one hundred rounds during the battle. The loss out of the less than 600 men, was six kilied; thirty-four wounded (several mortally); four captured and one missing. After this battle the regiment started for Little Rock, living almost entirely on coffee until the night of May 2, when nine miles out of Little Rock it received a supply of hard-tack. The next day it entered Little Rock, where it remained until the following February, when, in response to a request of Brigadier-General Bussey to the war de

« PředchozíPokračovat »