Obrázky stránek

Charities he came much into contact with court officials of the State, with the result that he was often called in medicolegal cases, and his services were highly esteemed by the late Arthur Eggleston, State's Attorney for Hartford County.

Dr. Down was a ready writer and he contributed several short articles along the lines of his special interests. He was a person of broad sympathies, he gave himself unsparingly and devotedly to the welfare of his patients, and in the unpleasant duty of removing patients from the home to hospital care he always sought the course that would save the person undue mental distress and humiliation. In his death the Society loses an active and useful member.

Ward Slosson Gregory, M.D.


Ward Slosson Gregory was born in Norwalk, April 2d, 1879. He was the son of James Glynn Gregory, a well-known physician in active practice and the grandson of Ira Gregory, who was also a physician for many years in Norwalk. His mother was Jeannette Linsley Pinneo, whose father, too, was a physician.

Dr. Gregory's early education was in private schools in Norwalk, he being the first graduate of the Harström School to enter Yale, his father's and grandfather's college, where he took the chemistry course in the Sheffield Scientific School, graduating in 1899. Having decided upon medicine, the next four years were spent at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City, where he was among the first ten in his class, receiving one of the Harsen prizes.

From June, 1903, to January, 1905, Dr. Gregory was a member of the House Staff on the surgical side at St. Luke's Hospital in New York; the immediately following three months were spent on the House Staff at the Sloane Maternity Hospital.

After a trip abroad for several months, he took the Connecticut State examinations, attaining the honor mark known as the Blue Ribbon and started practicing his profession in Norwalk in the fall of 1905. This was successful to an unusual degree owing to his brilliant mind, studiousness and courage together with his sympathetic personality. He rapidly built up an extensive practice in medicine and surgery, the demands of which were greater than his physical endurance, and his health began to fail in 1906. The pulmonary lesion was fairly advanced when he rested for a year during 1907 and 1908 in the Adirondacks. He returned greatly improved in general condition but not cured. From then on he worked to the limit of his endurance, resting for longer periods at shorter intervals till June, 1915, when failing to recuperate in this climate, he went to Colorado Springs, where he died of pulmonary tuberculosis January 14, 1917.

Dr. Gregory was a member of the Staff of the Norwalk Hospital from 1906 to 1915. For three years previous to leaving Norwalk, he was Assistant Surgeon in the Connecticut Naval Militia. He was a member of the Norwalk, Fairfield County and Connecticut State Medical Societies as well as the American Medical Association.

Edward D. Hall, M.D.


Edward D. Hall was born at Raynham, Mass., in 1851. He studied at Bridgewater Academy in Middleboro, Mass., and received his medical degree at the Harvard Medical School in 1873. He came to Meriden, Conn., and entered upon the general practice of medicine in 1891. Previous to this he had practiced in Massachusetts and had taken some special courses abroad; a course in operative surgery in Berlin, and in physical diagnosis in Paris.

In Meriden he had a large office practice, and in 1901 was appointed supervising state medical examiner for the Royal Arcanum. Added to these duties was the routine of the general practitioner.

He was seldom seen at social or medical gatherings. While a pleasing and entertaining companion, his busy professional life and the enjoyment of his home seemed to entirely absorb his time. However, he was a 32d degree Mason, and a past worshipful Master of a Meriden Masonic Lodge, and also a member of the Knights of Pythias.

He was of commanding figure and had an impressive personality.

His patients had entire confidence in his skill and wisdom. During the last years of his life his health, which had appeared to be robust, gradually failed and he died after a brief attack of pneumonia on February 19th, 1920.

Charles Naham Haskell, M.D.


Dr. Charles Naham Haskell, of Bridgeport, died of angina pectoris on March 5th, 1919, at the Roosevelt Hospital in New York City in the fifty-seventh year of his age.

A love of science, combined with deep sympathy and intuition are the salient qualities which won for Dr. Haskell notable success as an exceptionally gifted physician. He received a thorough collegiate training and after his college days he remained a close student of the literature of his profession, thus keeping in touch with the most advanced and progressive thought.

Dr. Haskell was born in Woodstock, Vt., May 11th, 1862. He came of English ancestry on the paternal side, traced back in unbroken line for more than one thousand years.

A contemporary historian has said of the family: "There have been few geniuses among them, but there have been strong, faithful and honest men and women from the time when Oseytel, the Saxon bishop, bearded his king in favor of the Witenagemote; from the time when Roget de Haskell, at the battle of Hastings, dashed forward and, amid a shower of the enemy's arrows, secured and brought to William the Conqueror, who was exhausted from lack of food, the fruit of an apple tree which stood near the line of Harold the Great, the enemy; from the time when Ordegar Haskell trained with Cromwell's Ironsides on the fens of Lincolnshire; from the time when Surrey Haskell flashed his sword for Prince Charles; from the time when William, Roger and Mark Haskell landed at Salem in 1632; from the time when George Washington, in his personal letter complimented Prince Haskell for his courage in the Revolution; from that time to this, there has been no blot upon their record, no shame or disgrace attached to the name."

The doctor was a direct descendant of William Haskell, who came to this country from England in 1632 and located at Gloucester, Mass.

« PředchozíPokračovat »