Obrázky stránek

Jacob May, M.D.


Doctor Jacob May was born in New York City on November 17th, 1850, where he lived until fourteen, when his parents moved to Fond du Lac, Wis. After his preliminary education in the public schools he first studied pharmacy and then entered the Rush Medical College from which he was graduated in February, 1876.

In September of the same year he married Ida H. C. Martin of Fond du Lac, Wis. and began the practice of his profession in Des Plaines, Ill.

In September, 1881, he came East and took a course at the Post Graduate Hospital in New York, and then began practice in Bridgeport in the early part of 1882-opening an office on East Main Street.

For eight years he continued an active and successful practice, acquiring a large clientele of loyal patients. He then became interested in the oyster industry and with his usual enthusiasm. devoted most of his energies to that business, acquiring many acres of oyster ground and building a steamer for caring for the same. The returns for efforts and funds spent in this direction were insufficient, however, and he again turned his attention to medicine. which he had sadly neglected for two years.

This was just at the period when Roentgen made the discovery of the X-ray and its use in photographing bones.

After a study of several weeks in the application of electricity. and its use in photography Dr. May opened an office on State Street, and for two more years practiced medicine mainly in special work with electricity.

During this period he became interested through one of his patients in visions of wealth to be obtained in mines, and acquired, finally, control of mining properties in Okanogan Co., Wash. The remaining portion of his life was almost wholly devoted

to developing and maintaining the mining property he had acquired.

He did not live to realize his expectation of acquiring wealth in his mines although at the end he received assurances of support in his work and a promise of success in his efforts.

Stricken with a fatal malady, he was operated upon by Dr. Sharples of Seattle, in July, 1918, and then came back home. where he lingered until the final summons came on February 23d, 1919. He leaves his wife, one son, F. J. May of Tonasket, Wash., and one daughter, Mrs. Wm. G. Rockwell of this city.

Every man is a guide post to those who follow after. It is not amiss to emulate the good and avoid the errors of our friends. In his profession Dr. May made and kept his friends by his genial manners and kind disposition. His enthusiasm was contagious. It was his misfortune that he was led into other fields and failed. He was not the only one who regretted that he did not continue in his professional life in which he excelled.

He rests at last in the peace which he so often wished for through the troublous period of his later life.

H. Walter Murlless, M.D.


On August 24th, 1919, Dr. H. Walter Murlless died at his home on Whitfield St., Guilford, after a long and painful illness extending over several months.

Dr. Murlless was born August 10th, 1869, at Windsor Locks, Conn., and was the son of Dr. Frederick Thomas and Ellen (Perrin) Murlless.

His early education was gained in the public schools of his native town and at the Suffield Literary Institute of Suffield, Conn. He was a graduate of the Louisville Medical College of Louisville, Ky., and also of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York.

His early practice was in Hartford, where he was the official city physician for two years. In 1895, he was appointed to the post of assistant surgeon of the Connecticut National Guard being at that time, a member of Co. K of the First Regiment of Infantry.

He came to Guilford on January 1st, 1898, and became popular at once as a citizen and physician, and soon began building up a big practice which he enjoyed almost to the end.

He was always interested in the town and borough, and took active part in the political affairs of both. For several years he held the office of town Medical Examiner. He served as chairman of the Examining Committee of the Draft Board during the war. He was a member of the Blue Lodge, of the Royal Arch, and of the Council, of the order of Masons, also a member of Menuncatuck Lodge of Odd Fellows.

He was a member of the American Medical Association, of the New Haven and State medical societies, and a life member of The Surgeons Club of Rochester, Minn.

He is survived by his wife, Agnes Fayette, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Kelsey of Guilford, to whom he was married. in 1901, by his mother, and sister, Elizabeth Murlless of Wash

ington, D. C., and his brothers, Dr. Frederick T., Orthodontist of Hartford, Arthur G. of Chicago, Ill., and Judson S. of Phoenix, Ariz.

Dr. Murlless as a physician and surgeon, held an enviable position throughout southern Connecticut; his skill and magnetic personality being recognized throughout the country.

As a "family doctor" he was beloved and esteemed throughout Guilford and the surrounding towns, where his big heart and wonderful ability, as a physician, made him the reliance, advisor, and friend in hundreds of households.

Aside from physician and surgeon, Guilford will always have reason to remember Dr. Murlless as one of its most prominent residents and public-spirited citizens.

In his death not only has Guilford, but the County and the State lost a useful and progressive citizen, and the Medical Society a gifted and esteemed member.

Rosavelle G. Philip, M.D.


Dr. Rosavelle G. Philip was born January 19th, 1847, in the town of South Swansea, Mass., being the oldest daughter of Alfred G. and Adelia A. Gardner. Until she reached the age of twelve she lived with her family in South Swansea and near Fall River, and her education was carried on at home. Shortly before the outbreak of the Civil War, the family moved to Providence, R. I., where she entered the public schools. Her father, on going into the army, left his children, four in number, in her charge, so that very early in life she began to carry responsibilities which ordinarily come only to a much older person. Her father was killed at the Battle of Gettysburg, and from that time on, for some years, she shared with her mother the care of bringing up the younger children. From her father she inherited a love for study and many tastes which eventually led her to elect the study of medicine.

From both parents she imbibed the high ideals and many of the principles which made her the careful, kind and sympathetic physician and friend, the loss of whom so many in Stamford now mourn. After some time spent in the public schools in Rhode Island, she completed her general education, graduating from the Hudson River Institute at Claverack, N. Y., and while there began to read medicine with Dr. James F. Philip of that town, after which she studied and was graduated in medicine in New York. After receiving her degree of M.D., she married Dr. James Philip and began the practice of medicine in Stamford and soon established a reputation for careful, conscientious work which brought her a large and constantly growing clientele. Dr. Philip did far more than her share of charitable work in Stamford, but reaped a reward in the love of her patients and the respect and admiration of her brother practitioners. Her husband's health failed soon after she began practice in Stamford

« PředchozíPokračovat »