Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 76
Mackintosh, Aeneas (1879–1916) For sheer unremitting slog without hope of
new discovery, the Ross Sea party of Sir Ernest Shackleton's Imperial
TransAntarctic Expedition cannot be equaled. Overshadowed by the epic
adventure of the ...
William Scoresby and Fitzroy next headed for Hope Bay, the preferred site for the
main base on the Antarctic mainland. Although William Scoresby was able to
make its way through the ice in Antarctic Sound to Hope Bay, Fitzroy was forced
With the days shortening, Rae decided not to explore farther, returning instead to
Repulse Bay, where he built his winter quarters, Fort Hope. The weeks before
winter drew in were profitably employed in hunting and fishing. On 5 April 1847, ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.