Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 51
With Hecla and Griper still imprisoned in ice, Parry set out across Melville Island
on 1 June 1820 with a twelve-man party pulling a handcart. After exploring the
southern shore of Hecla and Griper Bay, he had returned by 15 June to devote ...
After first making a brief examination of the strait, where ice was found stretching
from one side to the other, Parry set out for home to reach London in October.
Again, Parry returned to the nation's plaudits. True, he had not reached Bering ...
Instead of the level compact plain anticipated by Barrow, Parry found a confused
mass of ice floes much dissected by narrow leads. No sooner were the sledge-
boats hauled out of the water onto the ice than they had to be launched again ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.