Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 64
Mackintosh, Aeneas (1879–1916) For sheer unremitting slog without hope of
new discovery, the Ross Sea party of Sir Ernest Shackleton's Imperial
TransAntarctic Expedition cannot be equaled. Overshadowed by the epic
adventure of the ...
With extreme reluctance, Shackleton now found himself forced to break this
promise, for he knew of no other possible site. On 29 January, Nimrod was in
McMurdo Sound. Scott's anchorage at Discovery Inlet was unreachable beyond
20 miles ...
In the event, Shackleton's expedition was to throw no light upon any of these
questions, which were only later to be resolved. Funding from private sources,
together with limited support from the British government and Royal
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.