Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 63
For him, the call of the Arctic was so strong that oncehaving spent time there he
never returned to complete his studies at Cambridge University; neither did he
ever seek any other form of employment.While still at Cambridge, Manning had ...
In 1864, Nordenskiöld, now professor and curator of the mineralogical
department of the Royal Swedish Museum, was asked to lead an expedition to
complete reconnaissance work for the meridian arc survey. Topographic and
Erskine was seconded from other duties for the remainder of the season to help
Brooke complete his work. Getting the Weasels from Danmarkshavn to Queen
Louise Land proved exceptionally difficult, but eventually a way was found across
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.