Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 86
Geological surveys began almost immediately after the establishment of Mawson
Station, with dog and tractor teams setting out as early as the first winter.The
highest peak, Mount Menzies (3,355 meters), was climbed on 20 December 1961
Novaya Zemlya was possibly first visited by Europeans as early as the eleventh
century. In 1594 and 1596, Willem Barents mapped the west coast to a
reasonable degree of accuracy before rounding Cape Nassau and wintering on
The early breakup of the ice meant that he had to be airlifted back to Greenland,
where he sledged from Academy Glacier, Independence Fjord, to Narssarssuaq,
again assisted by dogs and airdrops, in a ninety-three-day journey between 21 ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.