Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 82
A relief station for shipwrecked sailors was also established here, consisting of a
house, bathhouse, lookout post, and lifeboat. Sovereignty remained an issue well
into the Soviet era, and Norwegian and other expeditions continued to visit ...
There, planes would refuel on their way to the South Pole. It would also serve as
a relief base should anything go wrong with the polar flight. On 28 October,
Glacier arrived. The same day, Beardmore Base was established by two
This was the first Soviet Antarctic station to be established and served until 1972
as the headquarters for that country's activities on the continent, a role later
assumed by Molodezhnaya. In addition to a comprehensive scientific program at
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.