Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 82
On 13 September, it reached 82°41'N at 87°04'E, Soundings obtained there gave
a depth of 2,365 meters, and temperature observations showed a layer of warm
Atlantic water extending from 150 meters to 750 meters beneath the colder ...
This involved constructing a 6-mile trail and then a cablelift up a 200-meter cliff,
on top of which a temporary camp was built. Victor had learned much from his
time with the U.S. Army Air Corps in the war, during which he had served as an ...
Flying across Bransfield Strait at 1,800 meters, they were surprised to see the
high plateau of the Antarctic Peninsula still above them, and it was not until they
had climbed to 2,500 meters that they were able to cross over the peninsula to fly
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.