Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 58
Although the expense of maintaining this station on a regular basis proved too
great, Polish scientists were regular participants in subsequent expeditions
organized by the Soviet Union. In February 1977, Henryk Arctowski Station was
The significance of Bellingshausen's first sighting of the Antarctic continent was
not appreciated until long afterward, and no further expeditions were organized
to Antarctica until the Soviet era. Russia's strategic weakness in the Far East was
English activity declined after 1619, when the Muscovy Company organized the
last of its expeditions. Dutch whaling was initially shore-based and then,
increasingly, was conducted on the high seas after whale populations were
hunted out in ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.