Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 82
Having lost so many dogs the previous fall, only twenty now remained, forcing the
men to relay the sledges. On 25 March, they left the coastal ice in Dove Bay and
climbed onto the Inland Ice. There, near-constant blizzards delayed them ...
Much of Baffin Island farther north remained unexplored, and the first surveys
were made of the Aggo Bay/Cape Hallowell area and of the extensive region
between Gifford Inlet on the southern coast and Admiralty Inlet and Eclipse
both planes flew together with good views of uncharted land to either side before
landing in soft snow at Mount Austin (74°48'S, 62°50'W), where the Norseman
remained while the refueled Beechcraft continued on. Ronne's plan was to follow
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.