Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 82
In February 1954, the Australian station Mawson (67°36'S, 62°52'E) was opened
at the head of Horseshoe Harbor, one of very few good anchorages in East
Antarctica. This was Australia's first station on the Antarctic continent and is the
Several scientific stations have been maintained at various times along this
lengthy section of coast. Between February 1950 and January 1952, John Gia'
ver's Norwegian-BritishSwedish Antarctic Expedition was based on the Quar Ice
Subsequent studies of Victoria Land have been largely conducted from the New
Zealand Scott Base, established by Hillary during this expedition, and from
McMurdo, the major U.S. station, both on Ross Island. From the 1950s onward, ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.